In the post Ministers as Mourners, Kerala Views discussed how the Ministers of Kerala are compelled to spent a lot of time visiting accident spots and bereaved families. They also spent a lot of time for attending minor functions.
Look at the functions that the Ministers attended in and around Trivandrum on December 24.
- Education Minister M. A. Baby inaugurates programme committee office of State School Youth Festival.
- Minister for Law M. Vijayakumar and Minister Electricity visit Sahavasa Camp of Model residential school students at Kulathur.
- Health Minister P. K. Sreemathi goes to SAT Hospital to receive a check from a women’s group.
- Industries Minister Elamaram Kareem inaugurates Community Palmyra Weaving Centre at Ottasekharamangalam.
- Revenue Minister K. P. Rajendran inaugurates Revenue Adalath at Nedumangad Taluk Office. (This is supposed to be a State-wide inauguration).
- Food and Civil Supplies Minister C. Divakaran inaugurates National Consumer Day at Kanakakunnu Palace.
- Agriculture Minister Mullakkara Ratnakaran inaugurates meeting of Jana Seva Samithi at Palayam.
- State Level inauguration of Consumers’ Day: Agriculture Minister Mullakkara Ratnakaran.
- Finance Minister Thomas Isaac inaugurates seminar organised by Kerala Government Contractors Association.
Chief Minister V. S. Achuthanandan had two functions to attend which were more important than the ones attended by his Ministers. One was the distribution of ration cards and the other was the presentation of Ezhuthachan Purarskaran. These could have been done by the Ministers concerned.
One could under the Education Minister inaugurating the State School Youth Festival. But why should he go to inaugurate the programme committee office? Earlier, examination results used to be announced by the departments concerned. Now, it is the Minister’s duty to announce them and even visit the houses of rank holders to congratulate them.
The Ministers are on travel most of the days for functions like these. Often, they arrive in the capital on Tuesday evening for the Cabinet meeting the next day and leave after the meeting. As the Ministers leave their offices, most of the private staff members also leave either to accompany the Minister or to attend to their private affairs. Governance is left to the remaining staff who are often incompetent. Several Ministers are comfortable if they are left to roam the State, apparently to make themselves popular. They do not realize that good governance can also make them popular. Most Ministers including the Chief Minister knows very little about the subjects handled by them.
If one goes by official releases, the Forest Minister Binoy Viswam has the longest itinerary every week. He may not be on the top. It may be just the case of other Ministers not giving enough publicity to their itinerary.
Who would tell our touring Ministers that they were chosen to govern? No more do people want to see their faces at meetings as they are always on the television!
Tailpiece: Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan was the Chief Guest at the passing out parade of police dogs in Trichur on October 19. When the Minister saluted, one dog reportedly turned its head away. A photo of this is in Sree with Malayala Monorama on Sunday (updated on 28/12/2008).
Update: Here is what the Ministers will be doing on the New Year Day in Trivandrum:
- Education Minister M. A. Baby to inaugurate extension of time for lending of books at the Public Library.
- Works Minister to switch on new traffic lights at a nearby location.
- Water Resources Minister N. K. Premachandran to inaugurate new counter for paying water charges at Vellayambalam.
- Forest Minister Binoy Viswam to release a book by C. V. Balakrishnan at Press Club.
- Chief Minister V. S. Achuthandan to inaugurate traffic safety week at Kamaleswaram
In the evening, Finance Minister Thomas Issac and Transport Minister Mathew T. Thomas will be going to Amaravila check post to inaugurate an electronic weigh bridge!!