The New Indian Express is asking its readers to select the worst performing Minister in the LDF ministry. Well, hardly any Minister is up to the mark. However, the Chief Minister should be considered as the worst performing Minister in the Cabinet. He is their leader or at least first among equals.
As one who heads the Cabinet, he has failed to ensure collective responsibility. More than that he has failed to push forward hardly any of the agenda he had put before the people when he was Leader of the Opposition.
Look at the following:
- No progress in action against plantation companies and others whom he accused of encroachment into Government land.
- No action against encroachers of beaches at Kovalam and other places.
- No progress in getting back Halcyon Palace, Kovalam.
- No improvement in investigation of crimes against women. Though he boycotted an actor, he has been acquitted by the courts. Sari’s parents now accuse him of complicity in suppressing investigation.
- No conviction in corruption cases highlighted by him.
- No improvement in the conduct of forest cases. Prosecution still fails to argue cases properly.
- No action against illegal/irregular lotteries and cheating by lottery mafia.
- No solution to inter-State water disputes with Tamil Nadu. On the other hand, the Chief Minister agreed to bind Kerala to supply water from Neyyar.
- Full-fledged rehabilitation of endosulfan victims is yet to become a reality (though some efforts had been made in that direction).
- None had been punished in the kidney racket cases.
- There is no notable improvement in the plight of tribals.
- All tribals are yet to get land.
- No action taken against encroachment at Pooyankutty.
- Accidents rates increased in quarries that breached the law.
- Conversion of paddy fields and leveling of hills continue.
- Did not succeed in checking cost escalation of Kerala Transport Project.
- All the mafias are at large.
Ana Koduthalum Asa Kodukkaruthu: Gift an elephant, but don’t give hope if you cannot fulfill it. The Chief Minister ignored that Malayalam saying and kept none of his election promises.
However, it ought to be acknowledged that he struck a better deal for Smart City and achieved some progress in introduction of free software in Government departments and agencies.